Dokodemo Door!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The humble oroblanco

The modest green fellow you see below is an oroblanco. Or, as they trademark them in Japan, a "Sweetie". It was gifted to me the other day and I must testify that I've never had one before.

According to Wikipedia, it was a hybrid fruit developed in a University of California laboratory, in an attempt to create something like a grapefruit, except not so bitter.

I have to say that the thickness of its skin made it a pain to handle and the membranes between the segments were bitter and rather a bother to separate from the pulp.

Frankly, the consumption of this thing was something of a nuisance.

3 Comments:

  • At April 9, 2009 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Mark said...

    I've had a pummelo before, which is half the hybrid.

    Its not-very-delicious and mostly skin; like a box filled with packing peanuts and paper, and inside is a rather flavorless, peeled citrus fruit (like eating a lemon if your sense of smell and taste stopped working).

    Its been hybridized with grapefruits and tangerines. I don't know why.

     
  • At April 10, 2009 at 1:43 AM , Blogger Yamantaka said...

    Humph. I guess they were hoping to create Citrus Fruit v2.0 or something.

    Glad to see you come by, M ;)

     
  • At April 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Eric Berg said...

    Where are the exciting citrus fruits of the future, like I was promised? The ones that will rip out your taste buds with their intense flavor?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home